Do you feel like you don't drink enough water? You're not alone. In fact, many people don't even realize just how important it is to drink enough water every day. Water is essential for our health and can help us stay alert and focused, reduce our risk of stroke and heart disease, and boost our moods.
With so many other drink options – from coffee, tea, and the occasional soda – drinking water can be tedious. But just like any healthy habit, there are simple ways to trick your body and mind into looking forward to water's hydration benefits.
Here are some simple tips to make drinking water easier and more appealing.
1. Make a habit of drinking water every morning
To make a habit of drinking water, start by committing yourself. Choose a time each morning when you will drink water and stick to that time no matter what. Keep a glass or bottle of water on your nightstand to drink immediately after waking up, enjoy the water with your coffee, or down a glass after you brush your teeth.
Starting your day off with a glass of water helps perk you up more than your coffee and can save you from dehydration headaches.
Then, be sure to drink enough water – at least eight glasses per day. You can also try drinking water while you're working, studying, or even at night if you find it difficult to fall asleep without it.
2. Add some flavour to your water
There are several ways to add some taste to your water, so you can make it more enjoyable and refreshing.
To make your water taste sweeter:
- Add fruits like cucumber, watermelon, berries, or pineapple. Not only does it add subtle flavour, but it also looks more appealing. You can even eat the fruit after you're done.
- Use herbal tea for hydration instead of plain water. It can hide the bland taste of water and can be hot or cold for your preference. Just be sure it's caffeine-free – caffeine is a dehydrator.
- Mix in lime or lemon juice for a zesty kick.
If you prefer a savoury version:
- Add bouillon cubes or broth (made from water, chicken stock, and seasonings) to make a delicious twist on plain water.
3. Eat fruit and vegetables with high water concentration
One of the simplest ways to drink more water is to eat fruit and vegetables with higher water concentrations. Since you have to eat anyway, adding produce with lots of water pulls double duty.
Some of these fruits and vegetables include:
- many more!
Eating these types of fruits and vegetables will help you stay hydrated throughout the day without needing to drink lots of fluids.
4. Keep track of your water drinking in an app
How do you know if you're drinking enough water unless you track it? Apps are a fun, interactive way to track your water intake. They can remind you to drink water, send you reports on your trends, and more.
Psychology indicates that gamification of healthy habits – completing challenges and beating records – can help solidify good habits and break bad ones. Apps are a digital way to stay on track and be accountable for your water goals.
Staying hydrated is one of the major cornerstones of your health and wellness. Another important factor is a healthy diet. Keeping on top of your health goals is simple with P2 Eat Smart’s delicious foods that offer high protein, low-carb, and balanced bundles.
When you have snacks, breakfast, and dinner options at your fingertips, it’s simple to stay on track. Explore our complete bundles to enjoy satisfying foods that align with your health goals.